Friday, June 3, 2011

Gouache and Color Wheels

On Wet Canvas I contributed to a discussion about the Quiller Color Wheel.  Bruce MacEvoy's web site Hand Print was brought up by another contributor.  I'd been there before, but it had been a while and my interest and knowledge about art has gotten a bit better since my last trip to the site.

Mr. MacEvoy has a very nice color wheel indeed.  I just ordered a bunch of M.Graham and Schminke Horadam gouache earlier in the week and I decided to map it to MacEvoy's color wheel.  It is very useful because it maps the locations of pigments on the color wheel.  The large red circles mark the pigments used by my purchases:




As you can see, I got a pair of very near reds and a pair of blue-biased magenta's that are also too near one another.  The two near reds have different properties, with one being opaque and another being semi-opaque, but to be honest, I am not sure how I will take advantage of the difference.  All in all,  I didn't do too badly in terms of getting a broad range of colors that do not overlap too much, but if I had known how to do this earlier, I would not have had any overlap to mention.

Oh yeah, if you are curious about where I got the information about the pigments used, I definitely had to go to the manufacturer for the info.  The M. Graham technical site was nicely arranged as was the Schmincke site - I did not have much luck finding info for the single tube of Holbein that I bought, but in fairness they are based in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment