Saturday, June 11, 2011

Art Shows and Vacation

I discovered earlier in the week that right in the middle of my first vacation in years, that the art league that I joined this year is having the annual open show.  I really wanted to attend the opening and take part in the social event, so I am a bit bummed about the timing of things - but I am WAY happy to go on vacation.  I could have submitted art, but I am doing this mostly for the human networking.

I did find out about an upcoming Columbia Art League show called Hint Fiction which is basing the the theme on individual hyper-short stories from a book by the same name.  The stories are 25 words or less and all of them hint or suggest a much more complex story.


The cover of Hint Fiction by Robert Swartwood

The Columbia Art League has multiple copies of the book to check out and I've already read through it twice trying to find a piece to use as inspiration.  It is harder than it sounds - I keep gravitating towards stories that would carry a less-abstract illustration well, but a more abstract, emotive piece might be fun to do.

The exhibit has a due date of August 19th, so I have a little while to work on it.  I really do want to participate in a couple of shows this year and this seems like a fun way to get involved.  Anyhow, all of the foreshadowing has been set - hopefully some fun art will come out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment