Sunday, June 26, 2011

Friendly Flotsam: Work In Progress

I kept plugging away at my latest pastel painting all through the day.  The first thing to do was to finish the gouache underpainting, which took a while as I allowed each section to dry and I went back over a few spots.

Finished underpainting
Then I finally got to start working with pastels.  I like gouache well enough, but I really enjoy pastels - they just make me happy for some reasons.  They seem like magic, I guess.  As soon as I start using them, it just seems like I get an almost immediate sense of richness and fullness of color that takes a lot longer to realize with watercolor.

About 25% done with pastel application
As you can see, there is a bit of a difference.  I've still got a fair amount of uncovered gouache showing, but it will all get covered soon enough.  Right now I am a little worried that the water is a little too bright, but it will be easy enough to drop it a shade or two if I decide it is needed.

I am also still on the fence about the "logs" in the foreground.  They were both cut lumber and I may round them up and add a few limbs - basically make them look more like natural drift wood than discarded lumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment