Monday, June 13, 2011

Vacation Time and A Quick Book Review

Before the sun is up tomorrow we'll be on the road and bound for Holland, Michigan.  My wife and I are spending a few weeks in Michigan and hope to enjoy the cooler climate and see the sites in and around the Great Lakes.

So the blog might be sparse for a few weeks while I am travelling.  But I am shooting a lot of photos, toting a back pack filled with watercolor color art supplies, and if I am lucky I will get a few plein air pieces done.

Last night I read the bulk of Betsy Dillard Stroud's Painting from the Inside Out.  When first I started reading it, I got a little worried that it was going to be something to make you channel your inner child, and while it touched on that theme for just a second, the book really proved to be an art project idea book.


Does "art project idea book" sound boring?  If so, I am sorry, because I found many of the projects to be really cool and exciting.  There is one project that relies on white gouache and another that used white tempera - I will be trying both of them out.  All in all, there were some really cool ideas in the book - I just gotta try the one that ends after you spray your painting with a water hose! 4 of 5 stars - this one has some really fun ideas to use, some of which you might incorporate and use often.

(Oh yeah, my cover says "19 projects..." as does the text on Amazon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment